Anyway, I have got to the stage now where I’ve been able to determine that I need to order a different size spacer and shim combination. I drifted the new bearing races into place in the vertical link and assembled with the hub and bearing in a dry condition (ie no grease) to measure up. Using the one spare distance spacer I had plus two 3 thou shims I used the Canley Classics method of measuring using a straight edge across the bearing/inner shaft face using feeler gauges. It seemed that I would have an end float of 2 thou which is within the ½ thou to 2 ½ thou tolerance recommended by Triumph.
|New Bearing Races Drifted into Place in the Vertical Link|
|Measuring the predicted end float using the Canly Classics Straight edge and Feeler Gauge Method|
I then assembled with an outer halfshaft to check the end float with a DTI gauge. I used an old outer halfshaft and nut as the thread is a weak point and I didn’t want to risk damaging the replacement halfshaft with the unnecessary assembling and de-assembling. I drifted the assembly together to get a good portion of thread showing and then tightened up the axle nut to 110 ft lb which is towards the top end of the torque setting which draws the hub assembly onto the halfshaft fully home. Although the bearing was rotating freely I couldn’t detect any end float which was also borne out by the DTI gauge. I therefore reckon the distance spacer and shim assembly I have used is set with pretty much zero end float.
|Checking the Bearing End Float with a DTI Gauge|
|Extended Wheel Stud Fitted|
|10mm Wheel Spacer|
|Spacer Won't Fit Flush|