Tuesday, 25 March 2014

A Classic Bodge for Classic Car and Stromberg Hassle

When I bought the Dolomite last autumn I realised I'd probably need a new exhaust before the MOT. The previous owner had welded a patch on the tailpipe silencer and also covered the downpipe in exhaust heat wrap. I knew this was probably to hold it together more than deflect the heat as I could see the parts that weren't wrapped were pretty "crusty". Anyway as expected the exhaust has failed before the MOT, it actually started blowing on the way back from the Club Triumph Dinner a few days ago.

I removed the exhaust wrap around the blow and sure enough there was a bodged welded repair from the previous owner that hadn't survived.

Leaky welded repair from the previous owner

Dolomite 1500 exhausts are no longer available in mild steel so I investigated a stainless replacement system. There only seem to be two suppliers, either Rimmer Brothers or the Triumph Dolomite Club. The Club only sell exhaust systems to members but needless to say that even with the membership it was still going to work out cheaper than Rimmers!

Quality Baked Bean Can and Jubilee clip repair

So I've ended up joining yet another Triumph Club and the system was ordered. Only problem is they are made to order and there is a 3 - 4 week leadtime. So it was time to use that classic 70s exhaust bodge courtesy of Heinz. A Baked Bean can was cut up and a tin wrap held in place over the leaky area using jubilee clips with a generous coating of exhaust putty underneath. It's only got to last about 3 weeks so it should be a good enough quality bodge!

I had an issue with the GT6 over the weekend, it's been running a bit weak at revs lately so I decided to tune the carbs. However the needle adjuster (hex socket) screw inside the dashpot on the front carb has seized. The carb was also running a bit weak so I tried to force the adjustment and I used too  and my brute force rounded off the hex socket within the screw.

I thought I had a big problem at first as I thought you needed to undo the screw to remove the needle and get it out to replace it. However I found a website with an alternative method of drifting the needle assembly up and out of the dashpot top in the event of a rounded off screw socket. The screws are only made of brass so the steel hex adjustment key makes mincemeat of it if it seizes up.

Anyway new parts to repair now ordered from Canleys. The car still starts and runs it just won't rev cleanly so I'll fix it when I get a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment