Wednesday 18 October 2023

Speedo fix well underway

 I received the part I needed from Overdrive Spares, not only much cheaper than any other supplier that had stock for a new part but also arrived the next day after ordering. Their website is down but I contacted them via their facebook account and they responded out of hours confirming they had the part and suggesting I call them in the morning which I did.  I'd definitely recommend them, but if you want to use them pick up the phone or use facebook messenger to make contact.

Speedo Connector Bush supplied by Overdrive Spares


I then needed to remove the old connector bush, it has a section with flats to allow using a spanner for removal, however with it in situ it wasn't possible to get an open ended spanner on it due to lack of space. So I purchased a set of crows foot spanner sockets next day from Amazon. However the spanner section was too thick to fit in the slot around the flatted section. I used my bench grinder to grind away some of the crows foot open ended section to reduce the thickness from 8mm to 5mm so it would fit.

Crows Foot Spanner Socket with Thickness reduced using my bench grinder

Checking that the thinned out Crows Foot fits the connector bush.

I then used the Crows Foot Spanner socket to remove the old connector bush with a 3/8 drive ratchet and reinstalled the new one in place. All quire easy to do in situ with a modified crows foot spanner socket.

Removing the old connector bush

I then refitted the angle drive and although the speedo cable was OK it is old so I replaced it with a new one while I have access.

Angle Drive and Speedo Cable Fitted

Before I replace the tunnel I'll drive up the road to make sure the speedo now works. Just waiting for a break in the rain first as the car is open to the elements from the gearbox area with the tunnel removed. I'll also wait for a dry spell to replace the tunnel as it's a much easier job on the driveway with the doors wide open than in the garage.


No comments:

Post a Comment