Even better, Spitfire 1500 owner Paul "Bodders" Bodiam who lives around the corner from me offered me a spare gasket that he had lying around in his workshop.
Ought to have been a reasonably easy job especially as the 3 nuts all seemed to be free. The rear nut came out complete with the stud, which wouldn't normally have been a problem, however when I went to reassemble the joint I found that the thread was stripped, what's more it had already been tapped out larger than original.
Rather than come up with another bodge to try and fix it I decided that bearing in mind that this is a weak point on these cars it would be best to do a proper job. I noticed yesterday that Chic Doig had a couple of nicely reconditioned manifolds, not cheap but they had been ,blasted, crack tested and painted , fitted with new studs and supplied with a new copper gasket, new Washers and Brass Nuts. Paul had also let me have a head to manifold gasket. I therefore bit the bullet and ordered the manifold from Chic Doig this evening. It means the car will be off the road a few days while I wait for it but at least it should be a proper permanent repair.
|Proper way to fix it!|